Saturday, October 10, 2015

"I would maintain that thanks are the highest form of thought, and that gratitude is happiness doubled by wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

As I sit here on a warm Saturday evening, I think about Thanksgiving weekend in Canada. The beautiful coloured leaves of autumn, a cozy evening fire in the stove and the thought of family and friends gathered around a well laden table of turkey with all the trimmings. I am feeling very blessed that this year I get to share this time with our Australian family, although this country does not typically celebrate this season. We were on the search for cranberry sauce or cranberries to make sauce and the closest we came to it was lingonberry sauce, which seems to be a close second. Tim is away until Tuesday, so we will have our Thanksgiving dinner a wee bit late (probably Wednesday), but that's okay. Being thankful and appreciating all that we have should happen every day, not just once a year. I am so very grateful for the family that God has given me - a husband who is second to none, 5 incredible daughters, 3 of them married to great guys and 6 grandchildren that give me joy every time I see them.
Today was a slow start. Kathryn headed off to Eden's second and likely last (in her life anyway!!) dance recital with Katie in tow. The requirements for makeup and hair were a little bit over the top and added some stress to preparation for the big show, but she was the sweetest Cinderella princess. And I was right, it brought back many memories of when our girls were young and wanted the opportunity to perform.
Eden, one of three Cinderella princesses, but definitely the cutest one!! (That's not a biased opinion, either!)

Andrew and I decided to take advantage of the public transit here and walked to the train station with no particular destination in mind. So we purchased a family rider ticket for the day (use of the train and bus all day) and headed north towards Perth. We stayed on the train and went to Stirling (home of a giant IKEA store). We haven't been in IKEA since they pulled out of the Burnside Industrial Park in Dartmouth, when we first moved to NS. We have always liked their style of furniture and neat little gadgets, and spent a couple of hours there wandering around. We also had our lunch there, very inexpensive and tasty (Swedish meatballs for Andrew).
It kind of looks like the store is in a desert wasteland, but it is actually right off the freeway and very close to the train station - just a short walk through snake territory - I was watching my feet pretty closely!!

And just to finish off with the cutest picture - this was taken on our bushwalk but I thought it really needed to be added so you can enjoy the cuteness with us!
Grampie training up a future birdwatcher!

And thus ends another day - to all those journeying with me in Canada - hold your loved ones close this weekend and be thankful - Happy Thanksgiving!!

No comments:

Post a Comment