Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Promise of Spring


This is a photo of a branch of our magnolia tree that is just coming into bloom.  It is such a beautiful tree and it usually has many admirers.  Andrew ('my amazing man'), has been busy getting the gardens and yard work done which he finds quite therapeutic.  I am thankful that he enjoys doing the outside esthetics and with his green thumb is able to turn our yard into a sanctuary. 
This is my first week of unemployment and am feeling quite like a 'little girl lost'.  I need to regain focus and put some of my time management skills to work.  My challenge lately has been honing my parenting skills and dealing with the female teenage drama that seems to be taking over my mental space.   It is such an encouragement to me to be able to chat with my adult daughters and gain a little perspective.  Our pastor's sermon this past Sunday comes to mind and thinking about how our attitudes can determine our outlook and affect those around us.

Chuck Swindoll has written the following entitled “Attitude”: “The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life.  Attitude to me is more important than facts.  It is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than failures, than successes, than what other people think, or say, or do.  It is more important than appearance, giftedness or skill.  It will make or break a company ... a church ... a home.  
The remarkable thing is that we have a choice everyday regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day.  We cannot change our past ... we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way.  We cannot change the inevitable.  The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude ... I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.”   

No comments:

Post a Comment