Wednesday, June 3, 2009

People, People Everywhere

Another full day in London! We started out early and ended up on a very, very crowded tube (you really couldn't move - it was packed to the doors, standing room only, my claustrophobic instinct had to be put on hold for about 10 minutes!). 

Our first stop was the Charles Dickens' Museum which was actually the home he lived in with his family for 2 years. This photo is of a desk that he likely used from an accounting office that he worked in. I must admit I wasn't too excited about this stop, but came away with a new appreciation for his literary contribution to the world. I really need to read some more of his works. It was then on to the British Museum the oldest museum in the world with over 6 million items covering 1.8 million years of world civilization. Okay, we didn't get to view all the items, but the highlights were the Rosetta Stone and the Parthenon Sculptures. Kim, I'm sure you could have spent a month here. The neat thing here again was the school classes that were there, basically having their history lesson! These kids don't know how fortunate they are to have their June class trips in this setting. We then strolled on to Covent Garden, a large open market area where we snacked on our scones and apples. Then it was off to Queen's Theatre to rest and enjoy a live performance of "Les Miserables". It was amazing. I really can't describe it. The actors, the sets, the music were top notch. We then walked along the street with the thousands of other people in the shopping district - it is almost overwhelming, the number of stores and the size of them, many being at least 4-5 floors. We decided to walk back to our hotel through Hyde Park, as it was a nice evening and we knew we could get back before dark. So, I have just peeled off my footwear (can you hear the sigh?) and am going to try and fix up my first day's post (I need to get the photos back on!)
Hope all is well on the home front. 

5 comments:

  1. It sounds like you two are having a wonderful time. I'm so glad you got to take in a performance of "Les Miserables". You need to get more photos up so we can see them.

    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Laurel, England must be amazing - I'm jealous! So did you happen to see the Queen at the Queen's Theatre?


    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paul ~
    No, we didn't get to see the Queen yet, but we are heading over to Buckingham Palace today, so who knows?? Thanks for taking the time to read.
    Sharon ~ We have so many pictures, but I have not mastered getting them on here, and will try and get a few more on today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laurel - the best way to get a lot of pics on your blog is to convert them to a smaller size. Larger formats take forever to load.
    Can't wait to see them :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like the trip of a life time. I am so glad that you got to the British museum. Your picture are amazing. Maybe someday I will see those up close, in person instead of just in my university books. (I was a history and classics major in university.) So glad that you have having an awesome time. Look forward to seeing all the pictures when you get home!

    ReplyDelete