Thursday, September 27, 2018

"When I started counting my blessings, my whole life turned around." Willie Nelson

It was an extremely rainy night last night and we woke up to high winds (again!) and rain. Another morning of switching up plans a bit. Andrew had planned to hike Gros Morne today and I thought I might accompany him into the base. We set forth after breakfast (still raining) but with the promise of a blue sky in the distance. We arrived at the trailhead around 11 and Andrew was determined, so I sent him off, telling him that we had many more adventures to do together, so he better not do anything too risky. I'll let him write the captions for his photos. I then headed toward Cow Head where the annual Gros Morne Fall Fest was happening. The local motel was offering soup (I think it had moose meat in it......) and a sandwich, a bake apple and partridgeberry tart with entertainment provided by local Newfoundland musical talent. It was delicious and a great way to spend lunch meeting other tourists. It turned out to be a beautiful afternoon and evening and we squeezed in a waterfall hike after an early supper. We have finally figured out that wifi is a lot quicker on the main floor of our B&B so this post won't have to happen tomorrow morning. It's off to Gander tomorrow and back to St. John's on Saturday and home to NS.

 Daniel Payne playing some great Newfoundland music.



This may look like a fish ladder but it is the Gros Morne mountain trail after a night of rain.

A very fresh moose hoof print.

A huge rack of antlers visible above the stunted spruce.

He emerges to view his kingdom. Thankfully the bull wasn't much interested in me.


After hiking for about 90 minutes I came to the gully, a very steep slope of scree (loose rock). Rather than attempt an ascent into the clouds, I heeded the warnings and turned back which made the outing a hardy 3 hour hike rather than a brutal 7-8 hour hike.  Maybe next time!


Back at the trailhead, the summit was nearly free of cloud.


Southeast Brook Falls thundering down.


Later, the clouds had returned.


Bonne Bay behind bonnie rose hips. They were so large and bright red, I would have liked to pick a bunch to take home and dry but I'm pretty sure national park rules don't allow that!


A view of the Tablelands.

Our final night in Trout River and we were blessed with this beautiful sunset a few steps from our front door.

No comments:

Post a Comment